Summertime Fried Chicken Sandwiches With Tangy Slaw
SUPER YUMMY fried chicken sandwiches loaded with Swiss cheese, bacon, pickles, slaw, and honey dijonnaise. Yum!
Wet Ingredients for Chicken:
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (see notes!)
- 1 tablespoon seasoning mix (see notes!)
- 1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup milk + 1 teaspoon vinegar)
- 1 large egg
Dry Ingredients for Chicken:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon seasoning mix
- 4–5 cups peanut oil for frying
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (Greek yogurt is a good sub)
- 2 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Brioche buns
- Swiss cheese
- Pickles, pickled jalapenos, etc.
- Honey dijonnaise (easy – see notes)
- MARINATE: In a plastic bag or glass bowl, combine the chicken with all the wet ingredients. Marinate in the fridge for 4-6 hours.
- BATTER: In a shallow bowl, combine all the dry ingredients except the oil.
- SLAW: Toss all your ingredients together!
- FRY: Heat the peanut oil in a frying pan until a speck of water sizzles across the top. Using tongs, shake excess liquid off the chicken pieces. Coat each piece in the dry flour mix. Add to the hot oil. Fry for 5 minutes on one side, then 2-3 minutes on the other side until golden brown and crispy. Drain on a paper towel lined plate and sprinkle with a little more salt (to taste).
- ASSEMBLE: Build your ideal summertime fried chicken sandwich! I like bacon, Swiss cheese, honey dijonnaise, pickles, and slaw!
You can use small chicken pieces, large chicken breasts that have been pounded thin, or large chicken breasts that have just been cut in half lengthwise to make a thin piece of chicken. But I wouldn’t use them in at full thickness. I prefer smaller, thinner chicken pieces because they’re easier to cook and they fit better on a bun.
The seasoning mix can kinda be whatever you want. I used a generic all purpose chicken seasoning every time I made this, always with a different brand, and it was always great. I look for ingredients like paprika, pepper, garlic / onion powder, etc.
Toasting the brioche buns in the oven with a little butter to get them golden brown and a little crispy on the inside is a good idea.
Honey Dijonnaise: 1 cup mayo, 2 tablespoons honey, 2 tablespoons dijon mustard. Season / adjust to taste.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Fry
- Cuisine: American